Try as I may to be happy about how it all ended, I cannot say I’m happy that it all ended. I was sad finishing the book and even read the epilogue twice. I found myself going, “wait, how did such and such happen?” then having to go back and find the answer. And since everything sort of came full circle, I now want to start over and read them all again. How pitiful am I? I did, however, find out that JK is planning to write another book. A sort of encyclopedia of Hogwarts and it’s characters. Not unlike Hogwarts, A History.
Actually, I need a suggestion on what series to read next. Thus far, I have been told to read Lord of the Rings and Eragog. I’m afraid neither of these will keep me as interested as HP did.
So, a few things that I loved about 7.
- That any and all emotions I felt for Dumbledore were as much a roller coaster as The Arkansas Twister
- Snape’s story – wow! Didn’t see that coming
- The story of the 3 brothers and the Hallows. While we’ve all heard stuff like this before, I liked that it was a story within a story. Made their whole world that much more real to me.
- The scene of Harry walking through the forest with all his dead loved ones.
- The cussing 🙂
- That each boy finally got his girl
- That Neville was such a bad ass
- That in the end, only the Dark Side ever killed. None of the ‘good guys’ ever used the killing curse.
A few things I didn’t like about 7 (there weren’t many).
- The fact that Draco was the rightful owner of the Elder Wand. And even though Dumbledore was buried with it, it knew who it’s rightful owner was. And since Harry disarmed Draco (even though Draco was using his own wand and not the Elder) that Harry was the rightful owner in the end. I didn’t like that whole deal. Seemed too far-fetched.
- That more main characters didn’t die. Sounds harsh, but all we got was a few of the characters we knew and then “50 others”. Too skimmed over.
- I sort of wish we could have found out more of the back story for ourselves rather than for Harry to be at King’s Cross with Dumbledore and in that one chapter we figure stuff out. I feel like in each of the books she waits till one of the lasts chapters to just spring everything on us.
- I think Neville should have ended up with Luna.
Anyhow, big shout out to Dan who got me reading these books. I loved them. And I’d say, all-in-all, I’m pretty happy with how it ended. Read this to see more of what happens to each character.